Tuesday, December 29, 2015

The Basic Rules and regulations of the JKA of Manitoba; a rather incomplete guide!

The Basic Rules and regulations of the JKA of Manitoba; a rather incomplete guide!
 
                It’s been pointed out to me over the last few weeks that some people don’t know the proper etiquette in a Dojo. I mean they get that it’s a special place and you can’t act like you do in the outside world, but one of the junior instructors said that students do not understand we have some specific rules they have to follow, despite us trying our best to let them know that we have some specific rules, people ignore some, fain ignorance on some and just plain break other rules of etiquette in the clubs.
                We don’t really have a lot of rules that we cannot bend in the JKA/MB but we do have some very specific rules that should be followed. Here is my take on the rules we need to enforce and why…and which can be “bent”….
 
Going on and off the floor
                When a student enters the training area or leaves it is proper to bow towards he Kimaza to show respect for the training area, the instructors in the club and the students who will help you learn.
 
Arriving late
                If at all possible it is suggested that you don’t arrive late, but if you do you should sit in Seiza at the entrance of the training area, preferably off the floor but your instructor must be able to see you. Raise your hand to call attention to yourself. The instructor will call you to join class when he is ready to have you safely join.
 
Lining up
                When you are called to line up, do so quickly and according to rank. If students are both the same rank or the same belt color and you don’t know who is higher just fit into the line anyplace that is appropriate.  Not moving quickly makes this process take longer than it should and takes time away from training.
 
No talking in class
                Once class starts it is important to hear instructions and details on what you are doing. For safety reasons you need to know exactly what is expected of you and those around you. Talking and not paying attention could lead to issues and injury. Also you will miss out on what you are doing and the instructor may have to repeat themselves.
 
No jewelry, watches, earrings, rings. Tape those that don’t come off.
                NO jewelry when training. Any rings that cannot come up must be taped well and any Medical alert bracelets must be taped as well. NO necklaces or earrings. If earrings cannot come out they MUST be taped to support them from being caught on anything and causing injury!
                I had someone fight me on this one once; she said she had a right to keep her ear ring in when training and it was her body. It told her the two stories of people wearing ear ring in training I was part of. One was a stud earing that got imbedded in the bone behind the ear (mastoid) when a person was kicked accidentally and I had to remove the stud from the bone with a pair of needle nosed plyers. The second was an earlobe that was ripped off when an ear ring caught on a person’s Gi, if they still want to wear the earing have them wright a note saying they won’t sue and they take personal responsibility for the ear ring.
 
No chew gum or have candy or food in the mouth while training.
                Eating or chewing gum, candy while training is a great way to encourage choking. We don’t allow people to eat or have candy on the DOJO floor because of safety concerns.  Not only can someone choke on the gum or food, but if it falls out of your mouth or if you spill, drop it, we get the honor of walking in it. NOT COOL. If the “galley” for watching students is on the dojo floor as it is with one of our clubs we also don’t let people eat in the galley area.
 
Karate students must follow the instructions of their seniors and instructors, quickly and respectfully.
                When an instructor or senior asks you to do something in the club, like move to a different spot, or give a command to line up you should do so quickly and quietly. This is something I stress to student because it helps us run an efficient and effective class, however I had one student say “I am paying for this class so I will move when I want to”, I told him that was fine, and he could move out of class and come back with a better attitude or not at all. Some fail to realize that half of the orders we give are to ensure everyone has a good class and the other half is for your safety. One more thing…you are not the only one paying for the class, the other 20 people waiting for you to smarten up have paid for this class as well, so if you don’t want to listen, the door does open to let you out.
 
When changing positions in the dojo, do not walk through the rows. As much as possible, walk around the outside or between rows.
                Its funny, half of the accidents I see in the dojo are from people running “between lines” and trying to make it out of the way of oncoming traffic. When you move in the Dojo make sure you do so in a way that gets you out of harms way and not like a character in Frogger!
 
When adjusting or tidying your gi, bow and face away from the dojo shrine. Do not adjust your gi during an exercise unless told to do so.
                Its one thing to pull at the bottom of your jacket and correct a rising up issue, its another to take your belt off and fix yourself up in the middle of Kumite ext. The most extreme form of this I saw was a guy who took his Obi off and adjusted his pants right there on the Dojo floor, we saw every wrinkle and mole he had on his upper torso and while he may not have body issues, and was very open…others were uncomfortable. I have also seen ladies do a similar thing with a sport bra on, again…while you don’t have issues…most of us would feel uncomfortable to say the least.
 
Karate students must have the instructor's permission to leave class before it has ended..
                One of my pet peeves as an instructor is when people go missing during a class…..especially a very hard one! I tend to watch and see if students are looking a tad green and then if they are missing I will go looking for them. If you feel ill don’t leave class, sit next to the garbage in case of you getting sick, but don’t leave. I have had one student leave class and pass out in the girls bathroom….it was far more scary for me than her! A rule, if its just a pee break…let me know and realize if you are gone for longer than normal…someone is going to come looking for you.
 
Say OUS when asked a question
                “Ous” is a strange word that take students a while to get used to. There are many stories about what Ous means or where it came from…and none of them really matter. The use of this affirmative term shortens the use of talking in the dojo and thus adds to training time. Keep this in mind when being asked questions. If you know or will do what is asked “ous” the person….or “oos” depending on who you ask. If you do not want to answer in the affirmative then just say no…someone will ask you why no and you are good.
 
Care for your Gi and obi
                I cannot state how important it is enough to keep your Gi clean. Obi’s will fall apart, but dirty, torn up Gis should be cleaned or replaced. Not only is it gross to have to smell someone else’s stench, especially if its week old pizza sauce that is molding on your Gi pants, or to spar with someone that is filthy…but holes in gis and ripped parts are weak and can be torn more or lead to injury…or over exposure. It also shows a complete lack of pride to have a Gi that is so filthy that its horrible to be near that person.
 
What can I put on my gi/Obi
                A patch over your left chest, nothing more unless its your name written on the pants and jacket….lower down on the jacket and up high on the pants. The point being that it’s as clear of stuff as possible. I have seen some pretty funny Gi’s with patches all over the place in my time, they look cluttered and horrible to me. I have seen Gi pants so done up with patches that the pants barely bend! JKA rules are basically to be as minimalistic as possible.
 
Sensei, sempai or what?
                Perhaps the most confusing part for new students, but should be the most clear cut for seniors. When you first join you only really need to know who the instructor is…that’s “Sensei”…the rest are “Sempai” but we forgive you if you call us by our first names or Mr/Mrs., and personally I don’t mind if you call me anything that is not an insult right off. However as you go up in levels you realize who is who and you should use that title in any environment that is appropriate unless corrected not to.
                My rule of thumb is similar to my bowing rule of thumb, when in doubt…use the title you think they are (I always call black belts Sensei unless I find out they are lower rank or equal to me…or not an instructor). Respect is key…that’s the most important part.
 
Who to bow to?Bow to Sensei!
                Much like the use of titles in the Dojo, bow to EVERYONE. It’s not rude to bow to a junior, try to figure out who you are to bow to can be insane and difficult. Remember that bowing is much like hand shaking, one is enough per person and make sure you just bow when you feel it would be polite, when you think it appropriate…oh, heck just bow and everyone will know you are trying.
                It is especially important to bow to Dingman Sensei and the seniors in the association. They have created the format and frame work that you are training in. its only respectful to bow to them and let them know you appreciate it.
 
Cleaning up
                Cleaning up after a workout normally means running a wet rag across the floor to clean it of perspiration and any other fluids (I mean blood) that may be on the floor. Over the years it has become less and less understood. To put it plane it basically is a way of showing respect to the next class that comes along. If you note a senior is not doing the floor, chances are they will be mopping up, dusting or vacuuming the club after you leave, don’t worry as you get up in rank your responsibility grows, it does not diminish.
 
What if you don’t show up for a while?
                Okay, here is the deal….some instructors will say its horrible because they rely on your funds to keep the doors open, For me I say that’s crap. Yes they do rely on your funds to keep the doors open and to earn a wage, but its also their responsibility to draw in more students so they can afford to keep the doors open. For me it’s the lack of upward mobility you get when you are off for a while. We care, or should care about you and your progress in Karate, time off means lost learning time and a slide back in what you retain. Just think of just about getting to a rank, taking three weeks off and starting from scratch. My only concern if you are off for a while or planning a vacation from the Dojo, let me know so I am not worried you got hurt or something.
 
Use of inappropriate Language
                I swear A LOT…ask my wife and mom…I swear to much…ask my sister and Dad….And when I swear its often ear burning and can be offensive at times…ask any of my friends or extended family…but to be frank…I don’t think I have ever sworn in a Dojo in my life! The Dojo is not the right place to use swears or inappropriate language. I recall one senior making comments about a student and commenting on his thoughts on her “physique”…..TOTALLY in what you should be doing in the club. The Dojo to me is much like church, behave the way you would think acceptable in a Church and be on your best behavior. Don’t comment on inappropriate things and don’t swear or use any kind of language that may be offensive. I try my best, but the odd “Damn” will slip out…but nothing to blue! Oh, and I get embarrassed saying Butt or bumb!
 
No fighting in the dojo,
                I would love to say that this is a no brainer, but in the last 37 years I have seen at least 6 real fights in the dojo from meat heads that don’t realize its not a Testosterone match!  If you start to take it personally walk away, if the person won’t stop, go to the instructor.
 
No spitting or No lying about
                Again, some may say that this is a no brainer, but I have seen people laying around the club…kids mostly…a lot, and on the odd occasion I have seen people spit on the floor. Its GROSS and it happens. Treat the Dojo well and you can learn their, learn respect and proper attitude. Treat it poorly and you are showing you are not learning anything.
 
Keep your nails short and trimmed, CLEAN feet ext
                I have had two times were NAIL CLAWS have racked me up and damaged my shins or almost cut my wrists….its not pretty and strangely its not the ladies that have done this…no they generally just stomp my big toe and rip my own nails off. It’s the men! They don’t cut their toe claws and then I get shin scrapes and cuts and I HATE THAT.  Cut your nails.
                Also, stinky, dirty feet gross me out, and Im not alone. If I cannot stand next to you for fear my eyes may water…wash them! Also, when you lift your feet up and they are dirty before you come on the floor…you better…wait…you guessed it…wash them. Same goes for other hygiene things. Clean hair, nails trimmed, not smelling like you have not changed your Gi or washed it in a month…not helping your cause to stay on the floor.
 
Proper safety gear in good shape. Safety string for glasses
                My favorite conversation with students “do you have the safety gear….” , them….”yes!”….me “put it on”!!!...them “its at home!”….Me…”So you don’t have the safety gear…”. Its one thing to have the safety gear, its another to bring it with you. Each student needs to have proper hand pads and mouth guards at all time and any other safety gear that you need, like strings for glasses…especially those made with glass lenses.
 
No Shoes in the Dojo
                Again, you would think this common sense, please don’t walk on our training floors with your shoes so we get to walk on your dirty left overs with our bare feet! Common sense but I have seen people with winter boots on walk out on a beautiful hard wood floor and track muck, sand and salt onto the floor and we have had to mop it up! I have also seen dog poop tracked onto a floor in a Community center by a parent that was not careful in what they stepped then argued that they did not know…but they still walked on the gym floor with their shoes on, had they taken them off we would not have had an issue….well much of one.
 
 
Anyways, that’s pretty much the rules and I hope they make sense! As you can tell 99% of the rules we have are just common sense and the key thread in any and all of them is that respect factor.  

No comments: